Frequently Asked Questions
Why does Teton County need the Teton County Education Foundation?
TCSD is committed to delivering a robust and dynamic curriculum to all students. However, the school district has mandates from the state and federal departments of education that significantly limit how dollars are spent. Over 81% of the District's budget goes to staff salary and benefits, leaving only 19% for faciiities, maintenance, equipment, student activities and projects. The TCEF helps to support the many innovative programs that foster student growth and excellence, but that cannot be funded solely through the District budget.
What is an Education Foundation?
Education Foundations connect private funds with public schools through philanthropic donations and corporate partnerships. Teton County Education Foundation works with private and corporate donors to support all nine public schools within Teton County School District #1.
How does the Education Foundation decide what to fund?
We fund projects that fall within the initiatives that are identified as priorities for the District. Only applicants within the District are eligible for funding and all applications must be pre-approved by a principal or administrative team member. This ensures that we only fund projects that have no other sources of support and are in compliance with district policies.
How are District Staff and the School Board involved in the Education Foundation?
The Education Foundation is proud to collaborate with the District and the Teton County Board of Education trustees. During the District's budget process, administrators, members of the the Board of Education, and the Foundation work together each year to identify and prioritize initiatives that need funding. In addition, two School Board Trustees serve on the Foundation Board, and a formal Memorandum of Understanding is in place between the two entities. The District Superintendent and Special Projects Director also sit on the Foundation Board as non-voting members to ensure efficient communication between the Foundation and the District.
How do Nonprofits work with the Education Foundation?
We work with the many dedicated organizations that support public education and provide financial support to the District. Since 2008, we have had the privilege of collaborating with over 20 local organizations to support students in the District. Typically, the organizations received funding from us when they are identified by District staff as a contractor for an educational service, such as the District contracting with the Children's Museum for field trips.
How does the Education Foundation work with the existing Parent-Teacher Organizations?
The Education Foundation and the elementary school PTOs have distinct roles that complement one another. While PTOs continue to raise funds for the individual elementary schools with which they are associated, the Education Foundation supports and enhances all schools in the District. The Foundation and PTOs collaborate in funding the Classroom Grant Program that supports projects in our schools.
Which Public Schools are supported by the Education Foundation?
We support the six elementary schools in the District (Alta, Colter, Kelly, Jackson, Moran and Wilson), the Jackson Hole Middle School, the Jackson Hole High School, and Summit High School.